As a ‘brand’ new mommy and a PR strategist for over 20 years, I learn a lot about the art of PR engagement each day as I LISTEN to my child make the ask for a new toy ad nauseam.
I’ve decided that children are the best publicists and we can use their savvy campaign building skills to catapult our business/career.
PR Tips from a Savvy Five Year Old:
1) Know your pitch. Each day your child masterfully crafts a campaign using brain, wit, smile and thought to convey to you why a new toy will change their life and how this toy is different and will make them happy.
2) Craft and believe the message. Observe how cleverly they explain the features of the toy and what makes it uber unique.
3) The art of the guilt cycle. Your child will remind you of the countless times you have said NO and how they were hoping this time would be different.
4) Authenticity. Children know how to look you in the eye and say, “You are the best mom I ever had and wanna keep you.”
5) Connect with the audience. The plea for the toy will continue as they interface with dad, the babysitter, aunt, friend, and continue until they hear, “I’ll buy it for you.”
6) Have fun. No matter what happens, they will have fun and come back moments later with a smile and a new tactic to get what they want.
BNM, spend time with your children and watch how they move, groove, and have fun as they execute a near perfectly planned PR campaign on you each day.