Over the last few years, I have had an emotional and rewarding experience conducting Business Style (Hair, Makeup, Personal Grooming, and Office Stress Relieving Stretches) for the (CAP) Chicago Area Project Organization. The CAP Organization located in Chicago, Illinois offers job training and personal development to 50 programs for men and women that are out of work, foster kids, troubled teens, and struggling addicts.
During the workshops I stressed that dressing for success reinvents your thinking, sets you apart and opens doors. By following these steps you too can achieve your own up-to-date fresh looking business style.
• First, make an appointment with your hair stylist to discuss a fuss free hair ‘do’ that will compliment your face shape. A worry free hairstyle lets you focus on important matters at hand. Take photos of hairstyles with you to cut down on time, and to give you and the stylist a clear understanding towards making your new coif a dream come true.
• The morning of your interview or presentation, start by showering with a moisturizing body wash. Scrub away dead skin cells with a body scrub so that your moisturizer absorbs better. Apply lotion while skin is moist. It’s embarrassing to sit through an interview with dry itchy skin.
• Go light on the fragrance so as not to offend your interviewer.
• When applying makeup use soft neutral colors and blend carefully. Loud lipstick and heavy blush are a subtle distraction. Career style makeup should enhance your best facial features.
• Step out in a navy, or black power suit accessorized with splashes of color, such as; a red tie, a string of pearls or a dainty pair colorful earrings. Suits with bright colors take away from the message you are trying to convey in an interview.
• Just before your interview slip into the bathroom to tidy unruly hair strands by combing your hair from the bottom up to prevent breakage and split ends.
Good luck and have fun reinventing your new business style image!
BNM Guest Columnist, Janet Shields Scott
Beauty, Wellness, & Life Style Authority Authority